NHS Northumberland Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is working with partners Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust and Northumberland County Council to look at the possibility of a new integrated hospital development in Berwick-upon-Tweed. The CCG says it remains committed to developing a new hospital that will be fit for the future and best meet the needs of the local population.
The plans to redevelop Berwick Infirmary were paused 18 months ago to allow time to consider the implications of local, regional and national healthcare strategies and also to focus on the findings of a review of Berwick Infirmary which looked at how it could best be used to meet the healthcare needs of local people.
There have recently been a number of early discussions between the CCG and its partners about the possible development of a new integrated health, social care and leisure complex in Berwick. Much more detailed planning is needed but this could potentially mean a new development with inpatient, outpatient and other hospital services, some GP services, and bringing together some health and care staff who work in the community as well as leisure centre services.
The CCG says it’s pleased that the Berwick Regeneration Commission is now in place with membership including county councillors, town councillors and public governors from Northumbria Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust. This will ensure that any new development contributes to the wider regeneration of the town and that opportunities are taken for further integrating services to ensure the maximum benefit for local people.
A series of informal drop in sessions at community venues in Berwick are planned to give members of the public the chance to give their views about the possible new development and about the different sites that are available. People living in Belford and Wooler will be able to give their views at the Northumbria Healthcare ‘Join our Journey’ trailer which will be in those areas. The trailer will also visit Berwick Market Place.
The drop in sessions will take place on:
- Tuesday 27 February, 2.00pm – 6.00pm: Jubilee Club, Spittal, Berwick-upon-Tweed TD15 2JL
- Wednesday 28 February, 9.00am – 4.00pm: Northumbria Healthcare ‘Join our Journey’ trailer, Berwick Market Place, TD15 1BN CANCELLED
- Thursday 1 March, 10.00am – 12.00pm: Northumbria Healthcare Join our Journey Trailer, Belford Market Square, (outside Blue Bell), Market Place, Belford, NE70 7NE CANCELLED
- Thursday 1 March, 12.30pm – 3.30pm: United Reformed Church, Main Street, Spittal, Berwick-upon-Tweed, TD15 1QY CANCELLED
- Thursday 1 March, 2.00pm – 4.00pm: Northumbria Healthcare Join our Journey Trailer, Cheviot Centre, Padgepool Place, Wooler, NE71 6BL CANCELLED
- Saturday 3 March, 12.30pm – 3.30pm: Tweedmouth Church Hall, Church Rd, Tweedmouth, Berwick-upon-Tweed, TD15 2AJ CANCELLED
- Tuesday 6 March, 12.00pm – 2.00pm: Swan Centre, Northumberland Rd, Tweedmouth, Berwick-upon-Tweed TD15 2AS
- Thursday 8 March, 4.30pm – 6.30pm: St Mary’s School, Newfields, Berwick-upon-Tweed TD15 1SP
Wednesday 14 March, 9.00am – 4.00pm, Berwick Market, Marygate, Berwick upon Tweed, TD15 1BN
Thursday 15 March, 10.00am – 12.00pm, Belford Market Square (outside Blue Bell), Market Place, Belford NE70 7NE
Thursday 15 March, 1.00pm – 3.00pm, Cheviot Centre car park, Padgepool Place, Wooler NE71 7NE
Healthwatch Northumberland will be attending these events witht the CCG, talking to local people about care services in the area.