People are telling us they are worried about care homes continuing to be closed to nearly all visits. They understand it is safer for residents and staff and the extra efforts
People are telling us they are worried about care homes continuing to be closed to nearly all visits.
They understand it is safer for residents and staff and the extra efforts made to maintain the quality of life in the homes. But after 6 months, people say they can see the effect on their loved ones, and their own, health and wellbeing.
It seems the situation may go on for some time yet.
Sharing good practice could help make this difficult time a bit better. If your relative, loved one or friend lives in a care home we would like to know what is being done to keep you in touch day to day and on special occasions like birthdays.
We would like to know your experience of:
- Using video calls (FaceTime, Zoom etc) or telephone calls. Does the home support these? How many times a week and how long? Does a member of staff help your loved one with the call?
- Socially distanced visits. Does the home support ‘window’ visits. How many times a week and how long?
- How does the home keep you informed about how your loved one is getting on (apart from necessary issues about their care or health). Eg manager updates, photographs, videos
- Does the home have a programme of group and 1 to 1 activities? Has your loved one taken part?
- Has the home asked you what, within the current restrictions, would make this time easier?
- What, within the current restrictions, would make it better for you and your love one?
- When restrictions are eventually eased (not totally lifted) what would help you and your loved one?
The forums will take place via Zoom. Read our guide on how to use Zoom.
If you would like to take part please contact Laura Kane: email@example.com, or call 03332 408468.
If you can’t make the forum and would like to tell us your story, or would rather speak to one of our team in confidence please get in touch.
(Wednesday) 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Healthwatch Northumberlandinfo@healthwatchnorthumberland.co.uk Burn Lane, Hexham, NE46 3HN