Substance Misuse Support


Escape Family Support

Escape Family Support is experienced in dealing with the negative impacts that substance abuse can have on carers and family members and the social isolation this can cause. They provide one-to-one support, peer support, courses, social activities and a helpline (07702 833944).

Due to the current lockdown, the support sessions have temporarily moved online. The sessions will run via Microsoft Teams every Friday from 10am to 12pm. Anyone who is affected by a loved one’s drug and/or alcohol addiction is welcome to join in. Call: 01670 544055 or email: to find out more.

Visit the website

Northumberland Recovery Partnership

Northumberland Recovery Partnership (NRP) is a dedicated service for anyone in Northumberland, 18 years old or over, who is experiencing problems with drugs and alcohol.

NRP is a partnership between Cumbria, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust, Changing Lives and Turning Point.

Referrals are accepted by self-referral, GP or other health professional. You can do this by calling 01670 798 280.

Visit the website

NHS information and support

The NHS website is a good place to start if you are looking for information about drug or alcohol addiction. Find out about the different treatment options available, what to expect and where you can find support.

Read Drug addiction: getting help

Read Alcohol misuse

Talk to FRANK

Find information and advice about drugs and details of local and national services that provide counselling and treatment in England.

Call FRANK 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on 0300 123 6600 or text a question to 82111.

Visit the FRANK website

The Mix

The Mix provides free information and support for under 25s. As well as drug and alcohol support you can find advice on issues such as sex and relationships, money, housing and mental health. Helpline number: 0808 808 4994.

Changing Lives

Changing Lives works with people who are in crisis or who need support to overcome serious challenges that can limit their opportunities. As well as offering support for drug and alcohol problems they can help with housing, domestic violence and employment.

Call: 0191 273 8891 or visit the website


The Mind website explains the mental health effects of drugs and alcohol, and offers suggestions of where to find support.

Visit the website


Pills spilling from a jar

Sorted is a service for young people up to the age of 18 who have substance misuse problems. Sorted also offers support to parents of young people receiving support from the service and young people who are affected by substance misusing parents or carers.

You can contact the service by calling 01670 500 150.

Drink Wise, Age Well

Over 50s alcohol helpline: 0808 801 0750 for free and confidential support with alcohol.

Alcoholics Anonymous

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) offers support to deal with drinking problems. To find a local support meeting visit the website or call the national helpline on 0800 9177 650.