999 BSL is a new service that connects deaf people to British Sign Language Interpreters remotely through an app or a web-based platform, who then will relay the conversation with the call handler and emergency authorities.
This service has been set up so that no deaf person will be excluded when they need to make an emergency call, therefore saving lives.
There are two ways to reach the emergency services through 999 BSL:
- iOS and Android App (on a smartphone or tablet)
- Web-based (www.999bsl.co.uk)
You can use the service in three simple steps:
- Open the app (download beforehand) or webpage
- Press the red button ‘Call 999 BSL now’
- Connect to an interpreter
Read more about the service and watch videos explaining how to use 999 BSL at the Sign Health website.